by Msgr. Ildebrando Jesus Aliño Leyson
The first document that report the name of Blessed Pedro was written by a Spaniard, Fr. Francisco Solano, SJ, in Guam on 26 April 1672, twenty-four days after the martyrdom of the teenage Bisaya. It was a letter in Spanish addressed to former companion missionaries in Guam who had gone back to Manila: Fr. Luis de Morales, Fr. Pedro de Casanova and Bro. Lorenzo Bustillos – all acquaintances of Blessed Pedro.
Fr. Solano knew Blessed Pedro personally. They were together in the Marianas for nine months. In the letter which report the death of some missionaries, Blessed Pedro is identified as “Pedro Calonsor Bissaya”.
The surname “Calonsor” is used by succeeding documents on the martyrdom of Bl. Pedro in 1672, 1673, 1676, 1749 and 1985.
Variations of the surname appear in other documents on his martyrdom:
Calongsor 1672, 1676, 1677, 1876
Calangsor 1683, 1700, 1863, 1886, 1889, 1977, 1985
Calansor 1723, 1891, 1985
The surname “Calungsod” began to be used for Blessed Pedro in the 1993 work entitled Deposition on the Martyrdom of the Servant of God Lay Catechist in Guam Visayan Cebuano Pedro Calungsod + 2 April 1672. Presented by the Archdiocese of Cebu.
It says in its Biographical Profile of Pedro: “A word about his family name. It is variedly spelled in different documents as Calangsor, Calongsor, Calonsor, Casonsor. The Cebuano familiar form today is Calungsod, especially in the Cebuano towns of Ginatilan and Naga. We have adopted this name except mostly in documentary texts.”